We use the purpose, participation, and location guidelines below to establish our membership. The group collectively approved these guidelines in August of 2010.
We have previously invited/allowed media and businesses to join our ranks, but in our experience, they don’t typically participate in our blogging community, which defeats the purpose of our group. We are specifically looking for bloggers who blog for themselves and who will participate in our community.
Yes, this can be a very gray and very fuzzy distinction. In general, if you are a real person (not a robot or a zombie) and you’re willing to participate in our community, we will add you to our ranks. Here’s what you can expect if your blog falls into the gray and fuzzy area:
- Can I have ads and make money from my blog and still be a member? Yes!
- I write about my industry and my profession. Do you still want me? Yes!
- I own a business, but my blog is personal. Can I talk about my business on my blog from time to time? Yes!
- My blog has my business’s name on it, and I mostly write about my business or my industry. Can I join the ranks? If you’re going to fulfill our participation guidelines, yes! If you’re not, no.
To be more clear, blogs originating from (i.e. hosted by) these places, will not be included on our blogroll:
- TV stations
- Radio stations
- Print media
- News outlets
- Corporate America
- Post to your primary blog at least once a month
- Read and comment on other local blogs
- We’re not saying you have to read every word ever written by a Springfield blogger, but we encourage you to pick a handful of favorite blogs, read them, and comment on them regularly.
- Attend at least two meetups a year
- Our meetups are a great place to get to know the people behind the blogs you read.
- 4/2012 update: The blogroll on our site lists the blogs whose authors attended our most recent meet-up.
- Promote us on Facebook and Twitter
- If you’re on these social media outlets, Like (facebook.com/sgfblogs) and/or Follow (twitter.com/sgfblogs) us
- On Facebook, RSVP for events, Like/Comment on our page posts, Share our page with your blogging friends, etc.
- On Twitter, RT meetup announcements, mention us in your tweets, tell your blogging friends to follow us, etc.
- Participate in the Blogaroni nominating and voting process
- Bloggers should be located within about 50 miles of Springfield.
- Counties included
- Counties excluded